- Helen Shideler
- Quispamsis, NB, Canada
- As long as I can remember I have been drawing and painting. Although my subject matter may have changed with time, what has not changed it my attraction to nature. Being drawn in by sunlight, shadows textures and details all with rich colors. I know I am best challenged when the work has a high element of complexity. I spend much time and effort exploring my subjects - striving to gather as much information as possible before I begin working. My first love is working with water mediums - from watercolors, through acrylics and most recently water soluble oils. Often I may explore the same or similar subject in different mediums.
Sunday, March 27, 2011
Apparently I underestimated the time and effort required to complete a detailed full sheet mono chromatic painting. I always do. And at this stage-I ask myself — what in the world am I thinking? Obviously I am attracted to complexity. And color variances. And details and textures. What am I thinking?
I am at the half way mark with this painting. I have been working at this for about three — four weeks. Ok, I admit I took a divergance with the poured daisy painting. And I spend as much time studying it as I do painting it. Part of the process. Looking for color balance. Looking for scale. Looking to see if it is working and what subtle tweaks it may require.
Sunday, March 20, 2011
This painting was pure fun to work on. Layer after layer of poured colors in combination with layers of masking compound, When working in this fashion, you really have to plan you work - as it is not quite as intuitive as painting directly. The toughest part of all this is actually removing the mask.
Then the fun really begins when you go back in and crispen (is this even a word?) up the edges and freshen up certain colors.The most challenging part is knowing when to stop and resisting the urge to overwork the painting.
This painting is custom framed. I haad to resist the urge to use a goldenrod colored inner mat - too trendy - the finished result is quite lovely. Greenish inner mat - off white outer mat with a v-grove.
Monday, March 14, 2011
I am actually working on two paintings at the same time. The other is another poured painting of daisies. Loose and fun so the focus on this one will not make me too crazy!.
The name above may not stick but for now I'll use it.
Currently I am working on a carpet rose - amazing colors - so exciting - so much detail and complexity.
Often when I am working on a complex highly detail painting, I will work on a second looser and more adventurous piece. I have been experimenting with sort of batik on paper using a masking compound instead of wax.
The first pour was with cadmium lemon the second was new gamboge. Then I applied two layers of masking in between.
Next I mixed some cerulean blue with neutral tint for the grey wash - more mask and the final pour was perylene green. Interesting enough, the toughest part of this process is removing the masking compound - other than letting go of control when pouring paint. Recently I recieved a tip from another artist - she shared with me that the best removal method is to use the mask itself - roll it into a ball - and it worked like a charm.
Friday, March 11, 2011
Wednesday, March 9, 2011
I started working on a full sheet painting of carpet roses that grow beside our pond. Beautiful pink, reds and wine shades.
Then I had an overwhelming urge just to play. I set aside the painstaking drawing of roses and found a half sheet of Arches 300lb paper just waiting for inspiration.
Hmmm – whatever can I do? When ever I get in this frame of mind, I generally go directly to all my pet fish photos. I played with the composition, this one here – that one there and so on. Landed on a composition that I liked and loosely drew it out.
Then I got out my little metal cups for mixing large amounts of color – masking compound (again –boy am I a glutton for punishment – this stuff is challenging at best) and started pouring paint.
This process is quite interesting – reminds me of batik with out the wax. Pour pale yellow – let it dry, apply mask. Pour darker yellow, let it dry and apply more mask. Over and over and over.
Now, removing the mask is like a work out. Need to use a gum eraser and rub and rub and hope for the best. Once I had all the mask removed , I went in and painted the detail work.
This is by far the quickest I have ever completed a painting of this size. And you know – I really like it!
And soon - the reveal of the finished painting!