About Me

My photo
Quispamsis, NB, Canada
As long as I can remember I have been drawing and painting. Although my subject matter may have changed with time, what has not changed it my attraction to nature. Being drawn in by sunlight, shadows textures and details all with rich colors. I know I am best challenged when the work has a high element of complexity. I spend much time and effort exploring my subjects - striving to gather as much information as possible before I begin working. My first love is working with water mediums - from watercolors, through acrylics and most recently water soluble oils. Often I may explore the same or similar subject in different mediums.

Sunday, December 5, 2010

A diversion, distraction, digression ... you get the idea

I am currently working on another large painting with water soluble oils. This is still a foreign concept to me - I mean the waiting thing between the layers.

And so, to fill in time frow all the waiting, I am also painting a full sheet watercolor of my Japanese Quince bush - large, lots of detail and almost monochromatic.

Somewhere between lost patience and working so intently on a large pieces, I found the need to, well, digress.  I have been curious about pouring paint and using a masking compound (hate them).  I started a doodle of sorts of my koi fish named "hoover" - mixed little pans of colors and dove in without really a clue what I was doing.

The masking stuff - well in addition to being sticky and difficult to apply with any accuracy, it stinks - I mean really smells bad. Smells worse than nail polish remover! But I persevered.  Layer of paint - hair dryer - mask - layer of darker paint - hair dryer - mask.... and rub, erase, rub some more, erase some more.  And then I got to tidy it up with a brush.

Overall I really like the batik quality of this little painting - and - from a distance, it almot looks like I knew what I was doing!  And you know, I had lots of fun. So now back to the studio!

No comments:

Post a Comment