About Me

My photo
Quispamsis, NB, Canada
As long as I can remember I have been drawing and painting. Although my subject matter may have changed with time, what has not changed it my attraction to nature. Being drawn in by sunlight, shadows textures and details all with rich colors. I know I am best challenged when the work has a high element of complexity. I spend much time and effort exploring my subjects - striving to gather as much information as possible before I begin working. My first love is working with water mediums - from watercolors, through acrylics and most recently water soluble oils. Often I may explore the same or similar subject in different mediums.

Monday, January 17, 2011

Backyard Blooms

Backyard Blooms

Back to our yard in the beautiful Kennebecasis Valley in New Brunswick, where the resident white tail deer population regards planters as their own personal salad bowl!   We have a number of wrought iron planter hangers at a variety of heights. Needless to say we have more success with the higher planters.

Red geraniums are a staple in our planters, as are petunias and any daisy like flower I can find. I love the mix of color you can plant together and still have it look good.  I dabbled over the years with backyard color, various monochromatic then whites and on to what ever strikes my fancy at the time.  It almost always comes back to red.  Or Yellow.  Pure happy colors.  And I cannot wait to paint them.

This piece was a bit tricky – tricky to draw out and real tricky to attain depth and contrast while painting with reds.  I worked on this continuously for two days.  When I finally stepped back to scrutinize my work, I was pleased with the effect of painting red on red. It is dimensional and  representational of our back yard basket.

Painted on a 12 x 16 sheet of Ampersand Aquabord with transparent watercolor, sealed with Krylon Acrylic Archival Varnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment