About Me

My photo
Quispamsis, NB, Canada
As long as I can remember I have been drawing and painting. Although my subject matter may have changed with time, what has not changed it my attraction to nature. Being drawn in by sunlight, shadows textures and details all with rich colors. I know I am best challenged when the work has a high element of complexity. I spend much time and effort exploring my subjects - striving to gather as much information as possible before I begin working. My first love is working with water mediums - from watercolors, through acrylics and most recently water soluble oils. Often I may explore the same or similar subject in different mediums.

Monday, January 10, 2011

First painting completed in 2011 - "In Full Bloom"

We live in a suburban area.  Which in New Brunswick means we share our property and gardens with a population of white tail deer.  Although beautiful, they are known in our region as “garden rats”.  Almost nothing is sacred.  They eat almost everything! Especially tulips, lilies and hostas.  Apparently tulips and lilies are like candy to them. They wait until the bloom is about to burst open with color and munch them while we are sleeping.

Every now and then I am successful in foiling their snack.  We apply blood meal regularly, especially after each rain – apparently, the deer do not like the smell (I understand, I don’t like it either). 

This grouping of tulips were spared from the ravenous appetites of Bambi and friends.  I photographed them each day – quite a novelty to see open tulips in these parts. I could not wait to start the painting.  (Although I had to finish “Amethyst Lilacs” and the “Quince” paintings first.

So, “In Full Bloom” is my first completed painting in 2011.  Here is hoping for another colorful tulip display this coming spring.

Painted on a 12 x 16 sheet of Ampersand Aquabord with transparent watercolor, sealed with Krylon Acrylic Archival Varnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment